RIPL is a leading non-profit tech-for-social impact organization. We help government solve some of society’s most pressing challenges using data, science, and scalable, sustainable technology. Our work has supported data-driven policy improvements in health care, education, social insurance, civic participation, workforce development, and criminal justice.
Our staff build and deliver human-centered, data-driven digital services in partnership with government to improve lives and inform policy decisions. We are currently merging expertise in policy, product development, and science to connect residents with in-demand careers and streamlined benefits. We bring empathy for both government and the people that government serves and are seeking to grow our thoughtful, outcome-driven team as we expand our work across the country beyond the states agencies we are currently working with in Colorado, Hawai’i, Maryland, New Jersey, and Wisconsin.
As a member of the Product Team, you will be the founding member of the UX craft, working alongside a dedicated team of Product Managers, Software Engineers, and Front-End Developers. As UX Designer, you will design innovative, human-centered, science-powered products in partnership with your colleagues and government partners. You will play a critical role in the organization’s ideation and concept development supporting the visual evolution from ideation to implementation. You will help ensure product design and iterative development consider user needs as well as UX and visual design best practices, ultimately supporting the organization to improve outcomes. You will also play a critical role in the organization’s user research activities in close collaboration with the product team.
RIPL’s staff are located all over the country but stay connected through online chat, regular coffee hours, and in-person time when travel is possible. As an organization, we value quality over quantity, and believe our users and government partners deserve the best. We know that changing culture and systems takes hard work, and we’re committed to that work for the long-term. We balance delivering rapid improvements that enhance user experiences today, while working toward sustainable product outcomes.
- You will be the first and sole in-house UX Designer for the next 6-12 months, leading all aspects of design for the team and working closely with Product leadership and Product Managers to set and execute research plans. You must be adaptable, efficient, and autonomous, and have the appetite to set the precedent for your craft within the organization.
- Set and create designs for RIPL’s core product initiatives of web applications and websites, bringing together important perspectives and needs from the Policy, Product, Technology and Research teams to design user-friendly products that meet complex and multifaceted needs.
- Iterate upon existing prototypes as well as design new concepts from prototype to product level.
- Plan and facilitate user research sessions based on the Product and Policy team’s questions and goals.
- Influence research strategy and contribute to RIPL’s research operations and best practices.
- Synthesize qualitative and quantitative data to enable decision-making and inform the vision of products and services to be developed with our government partners.
- Support sprint planning through development of clear user stories, wireframes, and design-relevant acceptance criteria.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to package learnings and ensure work is well documented to enable sustainable re-use, iteration, and handoff.
- Manage design and front-end contractors, as needed.
- Support storytelling to build alignment and excitement for RIPL’s unique approach of iteratively blending science, technology, and human-centered design to improve lives at scale.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- At least 3 years design experience.
- Experience with design systems.
- A firm understanding of responsive web design and web accessibility.
- Fluency with prototyping as well as scoping and conducting user research.
- Experience with A/B testing and methodologies.
- Fluency in Figma and/or Adobe XD.
- Passionate about advocating for design best practices with an ability to articulate how it supports organizational and user goals.
- Expertise using color, style, iconography, web typography, information design, and visual hierarchy to clarify data, indicate relationships, and support intended behaviors or user decisions.
- Experience building and maintaining cohesive visual UI systems including overall creative direction, icon systems, motion graphics, and can product style guides and specs.
- Any front-end coding experience and expertise is a plus.
- An ability to balance detailed design decisions with high-level product strategy and to clearly communicate those design decisions.
- Comfort starting with big ideas to identify product and design opportunities, exploring them visually, and distilling them into an actionable direction.
- Experience and willingness to work with a dynamic group of stakeholders to present an approach and gather diverse perspectives and user needs to inform decision-making.
- Ability to actively listen and drive consensus across competing user needs and create solutions that meet the needs of multiple users.
- Willingness and strong interest to flex across design and research disciplines to develop research plans, conduct user research, and testing activities.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams to deliver impactful digital experiences in a start-up environment; a bias toward action and willingness to flex to what is necessary to deliver the work.
- A commitment to the highest quality of work both personally and on an organizational level.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work or training experience.
- The target salary range for this role is: $90-115k.
- Committed, mission-minded colleagues.
- A supportive, remote-first work environment.
- Subsidized health, dental, and vision Insurance.
- 401k with employer match up to 6%.
- 21 vacation days per year, with PTO accrual beginning immediately.
- 40 hours of sick leave starting immediately.
- Paid family leave.
To learn more, email a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with subject “UX Designer”. Please introduce yourself and express why you’re interested in this position and RIPL, specifically. A portfolio link is appreciated.
RIPL is an equal opportunity employer.