RIPL is a non-profit tech-for-social impact organization. We help government solve some of society’s most pressing challenges using data, science, and scalable, sustainable technology. Our work has supported data-driven policy improvements in health care, education, social insurance, civic participation, workforce development, and criminal justice.
In the early days of COVID-19, we partnered with Rhode Island to build a cloud-based Pandemic Unemployment Assistance system in just 10 days, making Rhode Island the first state in the nation to pay CARES act benefits to workers and families in need, and helping over 70,000 RI workers receive their unemployment benefits. We are now expanding across the country to deliver effective ML/AI solutions to connect Americans with in-demand career and streamlined benefits.
We are currently scaling two major initiatives across the country: 1) supporting high-achieving, high-need students to complete post-secondary preparedness tasks to meet their goals after high school (whether that be a four-year degree, two-year degree, trade program or other professional training program); and, 2) supporting jobseekers to find lasting and successful careers coming out of the pandemic.
As a member of the Product Team, you will work with the Director of Product Innovation to develop and deploy these innovative, science-powered products in partnership with government stakeholders and mission aligned organizations. The Product Manager will execute the organization’s product deployment approach ensuring each implementation is configured to meet regional needs and that we are building and learning iteratively to augment our product and process for better outcomes.
RIPL’s staff are located all over the country but stay connected with online chat, regular coffee hours and in-person time when travel is possible. As an organization we value quality over quantity, and believe our government partners deserve the best. We know that changing culture and systems takes hard work, and we’re committed to that work for the long term. To learn more about what we value, please see our leadership values.
The RIPL Product Manager responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and manage at least two product deployments within RIPL’s education portfolio, Pathways to College, and workforce portfolio, DOORS in close collaboration with RIPL’s Policy and Partnership Team, RIPL’s Technology Team, as well as our government partners.
- Use agile methods to support cross-functional workflows and the iterative delivery of features against roadmaps and workplans.
- Measure and track product analytics and outcome data to ensure delivery of digital services is supported by scientific rigor and making progress toward target outcomes and KPIs.
- Contribute to development of shared and replicable processes and documentation that enables product, research, and engineering to drive progress and gain efficiencies.
- Manage sprints from the point of idea generation, discovery, and through to product build and deployment.
- Synthesize qualitative and quantitative data to enable decision-making and inform vision of products and services to be developed with our government partners.
- Support software engineering estimates and review technical specifications, architecture, and networking plans.
- Support policy team as a go-to-expert for regional-focused pilots in security, scalability, and infrastructure design discussions.
- Collaborate with the Tech Team and Senior Product Managers to package learnings and ensure relevant work is well documented, well communicated, and open source to enable sustainable re-use, iteration, and handoff.
- Build and maintain understanding of relevant competitive landscape across RIPL solutions.
- Support storytelling to build alignment and excitement for RIPL’s unique approach of iteratively blending science, technology, and human-centered design to improve lives at scale.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience serving as a product manager of a cross-functional team, ideally in an agile environment.
- Experience delivering impactful digital experiences in a start-up environment; a bias toward action and willingness to flex to what is necessary to deliver the work.
- Experience with products at various stages in lifecycle from concept and discovery to delivery and scaling with ability to execute the day to day effectively at all stages.
- Experience and willingness to work with stakeholders to present an approach and to gather diverse perspectives and user needs to inform decision-making.
- Facilitation experience including kickoff workshops, discovery/prototyping sprints, road-mapping exercises, and prioritization efforts with teams and with stakeholders.
- Willingness to flex across design and research disciplines to develop research plans, conduct user research and testing activities, and develop low-fidelity prototypes.
- A commitment to the highest quality of work both personally and on an organizational level.
- A strong desire and commitment to using science to improve lives, ability to learn and think creatively in partnership with a diverse team of scientists and staff to use data and science to solve complex social problems at speed and at scale.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work or training experience.
- Proficiency with a programming or data analysis language (e.g., Python, R, Stata) and data analytics and visualization tools (Tableau, Microsoft Power BI) is a plus.
- Professional proficiency in Spanish language a plus.
Given the regional location of each project this role will focus on, RIPL has preference for candidates situated in California or able to work Pacific Standard Time hours.
- Committed, mission-minded colleagues.
- A supportive, remote-first work environment.
- Subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance.
- 401k with employer match up to 6%.
- 12 days vacation annually with PTO accrual beginning immediately.
- 6 paid holidays per year with 3 additional floating holidays per year to be used flexibly.
- 1 week of sick leave starting immediately.